Friday, April 24, 2009

Nature-Deficit Disorder

As the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, I find myslef constantly wanting to be outdoors more often. I love the outdoors! I can remember the many days and afternoons that I used to spend outdoors playing. So I was somewhat shocked when I heard about nature-deficit disorder. Please take a few minutes to listen to this quick interview with Richard Louv, author of "Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder" and let me know what you think.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4665933

3 comments:

  1. Actually, I've read this book and he makes a good case for staying connected to our own humanity by staying connected to nature. I really thought he was on target as he pushed for more down time for kids at recess to just interact with the outdoors. He also called for schools to create more naturally interactive outdoor spaces where kids can just appreciate the beauty of the system of which we are a part. I have the book if you're interested in borrowing it. Thanks for making a connection to something I've wanted others to know about and share with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this totally. Growing up in wide open spaces, many of us have a healthy appreciation of our wonderful creation. But I have observed some of my younger family members who are frightened of even the smallest creatures. I agree with the author that exposure to nature allows true use of all senses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting - no doubt kids are spending more time indoors and are out of touch with the natural world that many of us grew up embracing...or in my case because i didn't have any of the things that kids have today! sad that 'outside' is now seen as dangerous and not something that should be appreciated. although, growing up in ohio meant wonderful summer weather when i could spend the entire day outside, unlike summer in houston where i would be arrested for asking my son to do the same! jeri makes a good point about developing senses in the natural world. is it possible to think generationally humans might lose parts of those senses if we shun nature?

    ReplyDelete